July 13, 2022
SINGAPORE – Johnson & Johnson Vision has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) to jointly establish an Eye Health Digital Innovation Consortium. Hosted at A*STAR’s Institute of High Performance Computing, the consortium focuses on advancing eye health research in the region. A joint investment of SGD 15 million from both organizations will be invested into the consortium over the course of three years.
The consortium will form strategic public-private partnerships in the eye health space between eye care professionals (ECPs), academia, and the industry to bring about innovations that will address pressing eye health needs.
The consortium will focus on the following areas during the next three to five years:
- improved eye health care delivery from ECPs to patients in Singapore and beyond
- optimizing collaboration between the private and public sector to enhance eye health care delivery
- developing new technological processes to support enterprises that are directly involved in primary eye health care delivery
This will start with three new projects:
- MyoA*Bank – a digital data consent management platform that consolidates anonymized data for studies in eye health
- behaviorally informed messages to improve eye health behaviors, such as going for comprehensive eye health check-ups, a necessary standard of care that is not part of current norms
- e-referral and e-triaging for step-up and step-down care in the community
“Infusing our high science with greater access to eye health data is critical as we work to shape the standard of care, particularly for APAC’s continued battle with the rise of myopia,” said Peter Menziuso, Company Group Chairman, Johnson & Johnson Vision. “The wealth of knowledge that will be exchanged through this consortium will greatly enhance how we innovate bold solutions to improve healthy sight across APAC, and even more broadly.”
“As a global leader in eye health, Johnson & Johnson Vision prioritizes collaboration and working closely with stakeholders to deliver impact to the communities we operate in. This consortium has an exciting opportunity to drive digital solution platforms in the prevention and management of myopia and other diseases. These will help to enhance the eye health ecosystem that we are building,” said Vaibhav Saran, Area Vice President, APAC, Vision Care, Johnson & Johnson Vision.