May 20, 2022
ST. LOUIS, Mo. — The Global Myopia Awareness Coalition (GMAC) announced the appointment of its Board for 2022, including a new Board Chair, as it accelerates its efforts to drive public awareness of childhood myopia and treatment options. The new GMAC Board Chair is Millicent Knight, OD, FAAO, FAARM, Senior Vice President, Customer Development Group, at EssilorLuxottica NA. Immediate Past Chair is Juan Carlos Aragón, OD, President, CooperVision Specialty EyeCare Division.
Other 2022 Board members are:
- Lisa McAllister, Global Myopia Lead, Johnson & Johnson Vision
- Kovin Naidoo, BSc,BOptom, MPH, FAAO, Senior Vice President, Social Impact, Africa & Latin America and Advocacy, Essilor
- Bill Scott, President, Jobson Healthcare Information
- Marc Ferrara, CEO of Information Services, Jobson Healthcare Information
- Raul Trillo, MD, Chief Commercial Officer, Vyluma Inc.
- Layna Mendlinger, Global Head of Marketing, Visioneering Technologies Inc.
- Sandra Block, OD, FAAO, President-Elect, World Council of Optometry
- Nick Parker, Global Head of Memberships & Partnerships, International Association for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB)
- Matt Geller, OD, CEO, Eyes on Eyecare
An advisory board under the World Council of Optometry, GMAC was founded with a mission to “promote public awareness of childhood myopia as a treatable disease through direct-to-consumer channels and awareness with governments, NGOs, and other health care associations.” GMAC does not advocate for specific clinical approaches. Instead, it is designed to stimulate public interest and prompt parental conversations with eye care practitioners.
“I’m proud to serve as GMAC Board Chair on behalf of EssilorLuxottica, and excited to build on our successful programs in 2022 to further enhance our leadership role in driving public awareness of the childhood myopia epidemic,” said Dr. Knight. “This unique coalition of influential companies has been a key driver of getting industry focused on pediatric myopia treatment, and it is so gratifying to be part of this effort.”