January 28, 2021
ST. LOUIS, Mo. — The Global Myopia Awareness Coalition (GMAC) has named its 2021 Board of Directors. The new GMAC Chair is Juan Carlos Aragón, president of CooperVision Specialty EyeCare. Immediate Past Chair and Marketing Committee Co-chair is Matt Oerding, CEO & Co-founder, Treehouse Eyes. Marketing Committee Co-chair is Lisa McAlister, Myopia Lead, Johnson & Johnson Vision.
Board members are:
- Kovin Naidoo, BSc,BOptom, MPH, FAARM, Senior Vice President, Social Impact, Africa & Latin America, Essilor
- Millicent Knight, OD, FAAO, FAARM, Senior Vice President, Customer Development Group, Essilor of America
- Bill Scott, President, Jobson Healthcare Information
- Marc Ferrara, CEO of Information Services, Jobson Healthcare Information
- Raul Trillo, Chief Commercial Officer, Nevakar Inc.
- Tony Sommer, Senior Vice President, Sales & Marketing, Visioneering Technologies Inc.
- Scott Mundle, PhD, Immediate Past President, World Council of Optometry
An advisory board under the World Council of Optometry, GMAC was founded with a mission to “promote public awareness of childhood myopia as a treatable disease through direct-to-consumer channels and awareness with governments, NGOs, and other health care associations.” GMAC does not advocate for specific clinical approaches. Instead, it is designed to stimulate public interest and prompt parental conversations with eye care practitioners.
“I’m proud to serve as chair of GMAC, helping build on an ever-growing body of work to advance awareness among parents about childhood myopia,” said Dr. Aragon. “Being part of a movement that has the potential to improve millions of lives is incredibly motivating and inspiring. We know that no company can do this alone, but together we are making a difference that will be felt for generations.”