March 5, 2020
San Ramon, Calif. —Twenty eye care professionals (ECPs) from across the United States have become the first certified to prescribe CooperVision’s Brilliant Futures Myopia Management Program featuring the MiSight 1 day contact lens as its cornerstone. Following an in-person educational workshop covering clinical, technological, and child-parent interaction content, each ECP then successfully completed an online exam.
The CooperVision MiSight 1 day lens is the only product1 approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for slowing the progression of myopia in children, who at initiation of treatment are 8-12 years of age*.
“Congratulations to these history-making ECPs who are now certified to prescribe the Brilliant Futures Myopia Management Program in their practices,” said Michele Andrews, OD, senior director of North America Professional & Academic Affairs at CooperVision. “We are deeply committed to addressing the rising severity and prevalence of myopia progression. I’m elated so many of my fellow optometrists are eager to approach myopia management in a new way. Together, combining this type of innovative thinking with their professional expertise, we can achieve the best possible outcomes for our young patients.”
The Brilliant Futures Myopia Management Program seeks to create a new standard of care for children with myopia. It provides inclusive practice, child and parent support to create the optimal environment for compliance, satisfaction, clinical outcomes and long-term loyalty.
“Even though I’ve treated myopia for the last 15 years, I came away from the CooperVision training and certification process with new information and insights that will make a difference in how I practice,” said Roxanne Achong-Coan, OD, FAAO, FIAOMC, FSLS, at Coan Eye Care in Ocoee, Florida. “Successfully tackling myopia progression is more than just fitting a lens. It’s helping parents and children make and follow-through on a decision that has significant implications for the child’s vision, today and throughout their lives.”
The Brilliant Futures program features:
- Transparent, defined protocol for care, meaning the patient is fully aware of everything included in the program (including services and lenses) while promoting confidence and efficiency for ECPs.
- Free product shipping and returns, creating no-hassle product availability for the patient, thereby enabling better compliance for the wearer and removing the guesswork from developing and marketing a supply strategy for the ECP.
- An interactive mobile app to keep patients engaged with the practice and their program of care, providing convenient access to myopia management information, lens handling instructions and videos, appointment scheduling and reminders, product ordering and more.
- Practices who are interested in learning more about the Brilliant Futures Myopia Management Program featuring MiSight 1 day can visit coopervision.com/practitioner/myopia-management. CooperVision will soon share more information on the next round of certification options.
MiSight 1 day contact lenses are currently approved for sale in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the Nordic Region, Italy, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand. MiSight 1 day is not approved in Japan.
1MiSight 1 day (omafilcon A) soft (hydrophilic) contact lenses for daily wear are indicated for the correction of myopic ametropia and for slowing the progression of myopia in children with non-diseased eyes, who at the initiation of treatment are 8-12 years of age and have a refraction of -0.75 to -4.00 diopters (spherical equivalent) with ≤ 0.75 diopters of astigmatism. The lens is to be discarded after each removal.
* When compared to the children in the control group wearing a single vision 1-day contact lens over a 3-year period. Chamberlain P et al. A 3-year Randomized Clinical Trial of MiSight® Lenses for Myopia Control. Optom Vis Sci 2019; 96:556-567.